2.22.2006

Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag



Check out my new Tibetan man-bag made by Tshering Pasang, a Dol-po-pa. It was my Christmas present to myself, a little expensive since I hate bargaining. Especially when the maker lives in a single room with his entire family. Best part of me trying to explain pathetically in Tibetan what I wanted was when I asked him when will it be finished. He replied, "Happy New Year's rje la". rje la (which is pronounced jay la) is a postposition meaning after, so this literally means after Happy New Year's. I was amused that Tshering-la had picked up the English phrase. Best part of the bag is the button that holds it closed. It's a small bell made of brass, Tshering was bemused when I asked for it, and now I tinkle when I walk (avoid making the obvious joke, please).

No comments: