2.25.2006

Shechen Lamas Got Big Ups

I went to see cham, so-called "lama dancing" at Shechen monastery yesterday. It's to avery obstacles for the Tibetan New Year which is Tuesday. I don't know much about cham, so I've included a lot of pictures. It's involves a lot of leaping and takes hours.








Crane style. People whistled like mad when this group of four dancers came out. Why, no one I asked has any idea, even T.J. and that boy knows. I thought it was because two of the dancers have bird masks. Tibetan ritual is rock sometimes, to quote T.J.









These guys are skeletons. And got bounce. Big ups in Boudha.


















My new Tibetan posse. You know how we roll, Tibetan butter tea in our 40s, slangin' tsampa. Chang for our dead homies. Chubas over our unlaced blackmarket Nikes.


















Me. Notice that Beard Experiment 2006 is nicely underway and past the itching stage. Sporting that 'Horns cap because my hair's a mess. I'm scared of going to a barber here due to the last haircut.

The subtropical sun was quite bright yesterday, and this was a large concrete courtyard so everything looks bleached. And nicely reveals my photographic incompetence.




Thug life, Tibetan style. You best step.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Warner, I just googled you on a whim and found your fabulous blog. I don't know if you remember me -- actually I'm kind of hoping you don't -- I was much less evolved in grad school. Anyway, still in academia, got a tenure track job in Oklahoma, finishing up my first book. Congrats on the Fulbright -- looks like you're doing very cool research. Email me if you're not mad from like years and years ago ... Would love to hear how you're doing. -- Jane Park (jpark@ou.edu)P.S. You need to delete the spam ...