6.18.2007

Biscuits and Gravy? Minor League Miscellania


I went to a Tennessee Smokies baseball game tonight, and I was somewhat puzzled by the above ball cap I saw in the souvenir shop.

Which team is that?

Turns out it's...

the Montgomery Biscuits, Double A team in the Southern League. Only a team affiliated with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, who have their own name problems since the devil he lurks in them mangrove swamps, could be named thusly. Can you imagine the ribbing these guys get from the other teams? I thought the Austin Ice Bats were kinda strange, but hey... the Biscuits? How do you get your game face on when you're a Biscuit?


My favorite sports team mascot and image remains the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs of the Central Hockey League. There is just something about a crawfish as a mascot for a hockey team that I find compelling, especially as one that looks as angry as this.

Addendum:
For more minor league hi-jinks, the manager for the Mississippi Braves totally wigs out and crawls around on the field after getting ejected from a game. Video is here.

No comments: