6.18.2007

"I'll write you once from Knoxville..."

Title is courtesy of some of my favorite lyrics from the song, "New York City Isn't Going Anywhere" by The Star Room Boys. This song resonates with me every time I get homesick for the South.

Naturally enough, I'm currently in Knoxville visiting kinfolk where the big attraction this summer at the Knoxville Zoo is an albino alligator. I kid you not.

What's really humorous about all this is that the blurb from the website states that "Known for their pink eyes and rare white skin, white alligators are said to bring good luck to those who dare cast a gaze upon the majestic creature."

Who says that? Who writes ad copy for the Knoxville Zoo? And what's up with the fake Cajun phrase in the ad, "Look in dem eyes!"

Terrible when we all know that Cajuns would look at an albino alligator and think:
1) I sure like country fried gator tail
2) That gator there would made some nice boots

On the Buddhist Studies front it's currently like the Battle of Somme: lots of trenches dug but not a whole lotta movement.
I think from now on I'm going to be making war allusions to chart my progress. Or lack thereof. And so as not to pop a vein in frustration, I'll use pre-Korean War metaphors.

No comments: