6.25.2007

My Grandparents and Father Jules Daigle

I have kept few mementos of my adopted maternal grandparents. I had a leather bag full of things belonging to my grandfather, but that bag molded over in the Southeast Texas heat and humidity while in storage in a shed. I think somewhere else in storage I have some of his things, but I don't have anything of my grandmother's since I was not in Texas when she died, and she had been sick for so long with Alzheimer's, that most of her possessions had been discarded or absorbed into the family.

Last night I was looking through a stack of my sister's books, and I found my grandparent's copy of A Dictionary of the Cajun Language by Rev. Msgr. Jules O. Daigle, M.A., S.T.L. It's signed by Monsignor Daigle, but unfortunately there is no date. Here is the information that I've been able to find about Father Daigle from here:

Jules Daigle, born December 4, 1900, is the son of Oscar Daigle and Eliza Landry and the 6th of 17 children. Father Daigle spent the first 2 years of his career in Baltimore, Md. and the final four he studied in Rome. He boasted that all of his professors went on to become Cardinals. Father Jules Daigle, who was ordained at the Vatican in 1926, returned to Louisiana where his sermons in Cajun French drew overflow crowds. After 48 years as a priest, he retired in 1974 and began a writing career. By 1984, using his own money, he published his 600 page dictionary which immediately became a best seller and supported many charities. His influence has spawned successful education programs teaching French to South Louisiana's children and adults even after his death on January 2, 1998.


He was also the author of a book called Cajun Self-Taught. Apparently, he was fluent in eight languages and a main proponent of the preservation of Cajun French. He certainly had some acerbic things to say about topics such as "Is Cajun bad French or just different French?" and "Other myths about the Cajun language". He had earned the right to be cantankerous, for he states in the introduction that he has been using the language for 84 years.

On the backside of the front cover in what I think is my grandfather's handwriting is his and my grandmother's names and their address. They must have purchased this somewhat close to the end of my grandfather's life, for the address indicates that it was after they had sold their house and moved closer to my mother so that she could care for them as they grew infirm.

I was able to find one book review of Father Daigle's dictionary:
Mary Patricia Trenkle, The French Review, Vol. 59, No. 5. (Apr., 1986), pp. 836-837. Although Father Daigle was convinced that Cajun was a separate language from French based on a variety of factors such as vocabulary, question formation, the uses of après, donc, and voir, abbreviations and repetitions, Trenkle remains skeptical. I leave that matter to the experts in the field and those that like to smash their heads against the language versus dialect debates.

I've always regretted not having been taught Cajun French by my grandparents, especially after I started studying French in high school. They didn't teach it to their kids, but it wasn't until recently that I realized the stigma attached to speaking it from the beginning of the 20th century to about the 1970s. From the same page above that gave me that biographical information on Father Daigle:

The French language was once so dominant in Louisiana that official state documents were published in French and English. In 1898, the State Constitution provided that "the French language may be taught in those parishes and localities where the French language predominates". But in 1921, the Louisiana Constitution prohibited the teaching of French in public schools. Children were spanked for merely uttering French words on the school grounds.

It's been said that the stigma against Cajun French was because que ce n'est pas le bon francais, but the stigma must've been stronger than that, for my grandfather even went so far as to change the ending of his name, Babineaux, to an -o, Babino, to make the name appear more Italian. I'm uncertain when he did that, but my maternal aunt, being the maverick that she is, changed her name back to the original spelling several years ago. I should look and see if I can find the documentation for the spelling change of his name. I'll have some more posts about this kind of stigmatization later.

I'm sure my sister will hold onto the dictionary. It doesn't look used at all, but I'm sure my grandfather and grandmother had little need of it, except as a reminder of their heritage and to honor Father Daigle.

9 comments:

mosspink said...

That's an amazing find... are you going to be able to keep it?

Warner Belanger said...

I think I'll leave it with my sister now since I'm so nomadic for the time being. She'll keep it safe. Besides, I don't have the time to study Cajun French with its simplified pronouns and the like. Quite interesting!

Anonymous said...

Fr. Daigle was my dear Uncle...His sister was my mother...He loved to expound on his theories of the language...I have a few keepsakes from his estate...a wooden box that he made, a box containing some of his clerical collars, a val that contained Holy Oil for annointing the sick, a barometer and thermometer which hung in his living room, etc. Sylvia Robison Dischler

Warner Belanger said...

Sylvia: Thank you for your comment and sharing your memories of your uncle. I get a lot of searches for him that direct to this post so I hope people will be able to find a little more information about him.

Linda said...

Sylvia, I'm Linda Daigle Arthur. My grandfather Palemon Daigle was kin the Father Jules Daigle. I'm trying to find out exactly what was the origin of the kinship. Did Father Daigle leave any geneology information about the Daigle family. My e-mail is: mycatcathair@aol.com I would love to here from you. Trying to find my roots, Linda

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

Edward Oscar Daigle said...

Jules was my uncle and unfortuantely I did not get to know him well until late in his life. He wrote my letters about the family and gave me a manuscript he wrote on the evils of abortion. It cannot be translated as his writing by this time was, like my fathers, and like I am finding, was not discernable due to the constant shaking of an inherited nervous disorder. I have a complete geanology of the Daigle family of Father Jules (my family) and will be happy to answer any questions, such as from Linda Arthur.

Warner Belanger said...

Edward,
Thank you for your memories of your uncle and your offer of answering anyone's questions.