8.13.2007

Grand Tasso

It's rare, but it does happen on occasion that a song affects me deeply. Last night I was listening to the Red Stick Ramblers, one of those young and upcoming bands that is preserving Cajun music, and I was dumbstruck by the song Grand Tasso. You can listen to it for free here, it's under their 2002 album "The Red Stick Ramblers." I can't stop listening to it.


Apparently it's a traditional song with additional lyrics by two of the band members, and I'm frantic that I can't find the lyrics to the song anywhere since I'd love to learn it. My French isn't good enough to decipher it, and although I can make out some of the lyrics (mixed with some English), I imagine the dialectical differences would defeat me.


In Cajun country, there is a food called tasso--a highly spiced and dried pork sausage that is an essential ingredient in gumbo and other gastronomical delights. There is a community called Tasso, by Bayou Mallet, near Eunice, deep in an area of road houses where Cajuns come to dance at the fais do do's each Saturday. The place figures in many a traditional song.


Well, there you go! The Red Stick Ramblers not only play traditional Cajun music, but they incorporate Western swing and jazz influences from folks like Bob Wills and Django Reinhardt, and they cover some of their songs as well.

Great stuff. I know Michael Doucet also recorded Grand Tasso, but the droning fiddle of the Red Stick Rambler's version gives it a touch of melancholy that fits so perfectly and the vocalist has that touch of world-weariness that carries it home.
Anyone who covers That's What I Like About The South has got my admiration.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my shot at the lyrics. Maybe together we can fill in some blanks:

Allons aller a la Grand Tasso
C’est pour voir les belles p’tites chers.
Allons aller a la Grand Tasso
C’est pour voir les belles p’tites chers.
Allons aller a la Grand Tasso
C’est pour voir les belles p’tites filles.

Gardez donc les belles p’tites chers
(Ca c’est la?) comme un jeune mouton.
Elles dance biens, mais moi dance mieux,
Mais dits-moi donc lequel ti veux.
Gardez donc a les (simians?)
Mais c’est trop tard, on dit bye-bye.

Joue un peut, et puis m’en aller
Ou est la (dance?) a Grand Tasso
C’est pour voir les belles p’tites filles
Et pour boir du bon whisky
(Et allons?) mais s’en aller
C’est pas si loin pour le ti ferais

Warner Belanger said...

Thanks for the help. I'll have to give it a listen tomorrow and see if I can add anything. I looked at the lyrics of Michael Doucet's version, but the Red Stick Ramblers is more extensive, as I'm sure you know.

I actually contacted the Red Stick Ramblers through their myspace page, and they said they might get back to me with the lyrics, but no luck as of yet. I'm sure they're busy, and it's good practice to try and pick it up.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know this comment is like 3 years too late, but I stumbled across your blog when I was trying to find out if "Grand Tasso" was a real place.

I don't know if the band ever got back to you, but here is my translation. The person above who translated did a very good job, and some of it obiously is very perplexing unless you're a native cajun french speaker. Hope this helps!

Allons aller a Grand Tasso
C’est pour voir les belles ‘tites chers.
Allons aller a la Grand Tasso
C’est pour voir les belles ’tites chers.
Allons aller a la Grand Tasso
Oh, pour voir les belles ‘tites filles.

Gardes dis- donc les belles ’tites chers
Se c’est la que moi, j’aime longtemps
Elle dance bien, mais la dance mieux,
Mais dits-moi donc lequel ti veux.
Gardes dis-donc elle est si mignnone
Mais c’est trop tard, ma dit bye-bye.

Jour après me mort aller
Ouais, la-bas a Grand Tasso
C’est pour voir les belles p’tites filles
Et pour boir du bon whisky
Et allons mais s’en aller
C’est pas si loin pour un ‘tit fillet

Anonymous said...

Your site is really good and the posts are just wonderful. Thank you and keep doing your great work.

Anonymous said...

Great articles and great layout. Your website deserves every one of the positive feedback it has been getting.