2.18.2006

Mighty Mickey Mao Redux

And so it goes. Recent news reveals that the Maoists have called for an indefinite bandha (that's general strike enforced through terror by the Maoists) starting in early April. There will also be blockades of the roads into KTM and all the major cities in Nepal.

So, what’s the latest in the ‘Du? Things are quiet, or perhaps it’s that I just can’t bear to read both English dailies everyday. I check my google.news for the headlines, but I’ve been busy writing grant proposals (always secure funding, 1st rule of grad school) and other more pleasant distractions. As long as I’m not having my epidermis sanded off, almost anything is more pleasant than writing grant proposals. You’d think I’d be used to them now, but noooooo. If you’ve read the business proposal section in the Cryptonomicron, it’s just like that, except I don’t get as much start-up money.

We’re currently in the midst of the longest ever recorded drought in KTM Valley history (4 1/2 months). Hopefully, the monsoon will come early and profusely. Farmers are suffering, and that means famine in certain districts. I don’t know what the status is for the indefinite bandh and blockades of all major cities starting April 3th.

US Ambassdor Moriarty was all over the papers today. Headline in the Nepali Times, the well-written weekly of the Himalayan Times, above a sinister looking picture of His Excellency, is “Professor Moriarty strikes again.” Ah, what a pleasure to have actual literary allusions in print media. Apparently the Ambassador will be on Kantipur TV twice next week to talk about what the US wants, now that it appears that the US has thrown its support back behind the King. He did meet with some of the seven major political party leaders, but the gist of the meeting was to suggest that the twelve-point agreement with the Maoists is a big mistake. I admit, I can’t force myself to keep track, really, now that I’m out of the habit of reading both dailies cover to cover. I got out of the habit when I had what I like to call obstreperous throat. I know some of the major actors, but I’d need a scorecard anyway. Who’s in jail, who’s under house arrest, who leads what party. With seven major political parties, I hope no one blames me for not being exactly up on who’s who.

However, do check out www.samudaya.org. It’s a forum by expat Nepalis to spread awareness for democracy, pluralism and free press, according to the article in this week’s Nepali Times. It’s blocked in Nepal by the government, but there is a mirror-site at www.everybodybreed.com (strange choice, that). Who knows how long that’ll be accessible here in Nepal. I’ll have a gander today. They’ve also started Creative Dissent Nepal, “a movement of people wokring towards supporting and promoting democratic ideals through participatory, creative, and non-violent activism.” All Americans, take note. You might want to take notes on this stuff, given the recent appointment to the Supreme Court.

It’s for keeps here in Nepal, folks. Massive human right violations, google Nepal human right violations and UN report. Violence can be casual and brutal, and facing a lathi (a bamboo staff) charge by the police or military police here is no laughing matter. During the protests leading up to the sham elections on February 8th, the cops brought their own truckloads of brickbats (brick shards) to protests to throw at protestors, who, of course, were doing the same.

Pay close attention, Americans. ‘Course, we don’t roll like that in ‘Merica, we’d bring our gatts, and bloodbaths would ensue. Sorry folks, but it’s true. Civil war in America would, has already been once, hideous. Let’s not let it come to that, shall we? Vote in this election in November, and throw out the party in power in at least the Senate or the House. Get at least a deadlock in the government, hopefully to begin impeachment hearing. What’s some admittedly ethical dubious sexual misconduct to outright lies that lead to a war that has caused thousands of American deaths and many, many more wounded people. The Imperial Presidency has gone way way way too far, and now with the Judiciary swinging hard to the right, things are about to get worse.

Lessons could be learned from Nepalis. I cower out here in Boudha, while folks are out laying their asses on the line during protests. I feel guilty ‘bout this, but I’m not a Nepali, nor a U.N. human rights observer, nor a journalist, and I like to keep my skull intact, thank you. Leigh and Jason got caught in a protest, and Leigh was fortunate to get away with only getting her camera broken.

Rant over.

No comments: